Thursday, July 23, 2009

Warning: Knives are SHARP (Part 1)

So we are a kitchen store that specializes in knives. What people tend to forget is KNIVES ARE SHARP and can cut you! Really, they can....I pinky swear. The way some customers handle the knives is nerve racking. I'm surprised these people graduated from butter knife to sharp 8" chef's knife. Never should've happened--in fact, I think all of their knives should be taken away from them and be left with just a fork and spoon. (Actually, you can do a lot of damage with a fork...let's take that away too. Just spoon.)

*Let me preface what I'm about to tell you by letting you know that I don't deal well with seeing other people's blood. Not fa' me.*

Okay, so a few years ago, I was showing a customer some knives. He definitely worked in the kitchen at one of the local restaurants, as he was in his white coat/checkered pants. The serrated knife he wanted to see was probably the sharpest one we had in the store. Instead of feeling how sharp the blade was the 'safe and proper' way, he proceeded to press the serrations into his thumb and drag it across the surface. I thought, "Oh god, here we go."

He quickly realized what he did and instead of acknowledging the he had just sliced his thumb (with a SERRATED BLADE, mind you) he held his finger against it to "stop" the bleeding. All I could do was STARE. He was asking me questions about the knives while his thumb was bleeding, bad. I didn't hear a word he was saying, came out of my freaked-out daze and interrupted him BLUNTLY and said, "Let me get you a paper-towel, cuz you're bleeding all over the place."

He wrapped his thumb with the paper towel and decided he'd buy everything that was in front of him. I'm thinking, "Hell yeah you'll buy all of it. Not selling this stuff to anyone else but YOU." He paid me in cash, one-handed cuz his thumb was still gushing. Gross. Yuck. Ew.

I'd bet 100 bucks he had to get stitches that day. What was most disturbing, aside from the blood, was that he didn't acknowledge that he cut himself. Obviously he was embarassed, but don't pretend you're not bleeeeeeeding. I can seeeeeeee it. It was like the 'pink elephant' in the middle of the room, except this one was a red, bloody elephant standing right in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment