Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Are you tawking to ME?


The perfect example of what I'm about to tawk about happened today at work: I had just gotten off the phone with a customer and was gathering the pieces of paper I had just written on when a lady off to my right mumbles, "Do you have a powdered sugar shaker?". I could barely hear/understand her, so I looked over at her...she was facing the wall. I'm thinking..."Are you tawking to me?, "Are you tawking to your friend who's standing right there with you?", "Who are you tawwwwking toooooo?"

I say, "Were you saying something to me?". She says, *still not looking at me*..."Yes, do you have a powdered sugar shaker?"

This type of interaction happens ALL THE TIME. I'll be standing at the opposite end of the store doing something and a customer blurts something out and expects me to know that they're tawking to
me.

I know I'm asking for a lot, okay....but could you please start off your question or statement with an "Excuse me", "Pardon", or "I have a question for you" so that I know you're speaking to me--
especially if you're not going to have the decency to look at me while doing it.

I'll tell you the ways of getting my attention that
definitely don't fly with me, or anyone else working in retail for that matter....

1.
snapping---makes me wanna snap you.

2.
heeelloooooo---not a hello, but a heeellooooo....makes me wanna deliver a, "Hi, asshole."

3.
waving the product in the air---
a. are you having a tremor?
b. are you waving at me? Ohhh, hey!
c. are you cheering for a team, imagining that the cheese grater
you're flailing is a pom-pom?....GOOOOO, Tigers!

My ideal response, *Jersey style*..."Are you
tawkin' to ME?!


No comments:

Post a Comment